(done with a fine point Sharpie -- drawn in pencil first)
So here is what we started with. Each student received a plastic mask form. To prevent the paper mache from sticking to the mask (when we need to pull it off later), we put a sheet of foil on as our first "layer".
The green mixture in the cup is a simple mix of glue, water, and food coloring. The reason for the color? Just for fun. It was near the Michigan/Michigan State game and I was showing my support for State. Go Green! ;)
Every other layer was newspaper, then torn brown paper towel.
They ended up with a total of 6 layers.
The brown paper towel was the last layer.
After the last layer was dry, students painted on a layer or two of white gesso.
This made for a nice "blank canvas".
In the photo above -- you can see the student has removed the paper mache mask from the plastic form.
Now that they have their mask -- it's time to decorate!
Students were told that they had the choice to make a Sugar Skull design or another design idea. The paint we used was acrylic....it works so much better than tempera. Markers were also used.
Here are more student examples: