Friday, December 13, 2013

8th Grade Sugar Skull masks

Here is just a sample of the fun Sugar Skull masks we made.  The kids loved it!  I will post more examples and my lesson plan soon.
(done with a fine point Sharpie -- drawn in pencil first)

So here is what we started with.  Each student received a plastic mask form.  To prevent the paper mache from sticking to the mask (when we need to pull it off later), we put a sheet of foil on as our first "layer".

The green mixture in the cup is a simple mix of glue, water, and food coloring.  The reason for the color?  Just for fun.  It was near the Michigan/Michigan State game and I was showing my support for State.  Go Green!  ;)

Every other layer was newspaper, then torn brown paper towel.
They ended up with a total of 6 layers.
The brown paper towel was the last layer.

After the last layer was dry, students painted on a layer or two of white gesso.
This made for a nice "blank canvas".

In the photo above -- you can see the student has removed the paper mache mask from the plastic form.  

Now that they have their mask -- it's time to decorate!

Students were told that they had the choice to make a Sugar Skull design or another design idea.  The paint we used was works so much better than tempera.  Markers were also used.
Here are more student examples:

Thursday, October 10, 2013

It's another new year and things are going well!

I have some new lessons I'm trying and will post what I can asap.  We are also looking in to lessons involving the Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 software we just received.  Very exciting!


Monday, May 20, 2013

8th Grade Grid Enlargement Car drawings

For this lesson, students reviewed the grid enlargement process via three worksheets. (pics soon)
From there, they chose a photo of a car that they liked.
Instead of drawing a grid directly on the photo, I photocopied a grid on to transparency sheets.

The photo of the car was placed underneath and taped.

Students drew their own grid on another sheet of paper.  We used 1/2" x 1/2" measurements for their grid.  I didn't have paper large enough to make them bigger.  It actually worked out well.

To avoid overwhelming the kids with all of the detail of the car, I found it extremely helpful to have them start with the outline of the car.  To do this, we took a vis-a-vis marker and outlined the car.  This is nice because it can easily be wiped off and re-used next year.

After they had the outline drawn, they used the vis-a-vis again to outline large shapes.  As they continued they outlined more and more.  This was a huge help as it simplified the car for them.  
Shading was added in the end.

I left it up to the kids whether or not they wanted to erase the grid lines on their drawing.